Monday, August 6, 2012

"Its a long and winding road..."

We awoke at Casa Paredes and enjoyed one of C's AWESOME breakfasts then packed up and hit the road. This time, we had company...C&B carpooled with us to King's Canyon and Yosemite National Parks.  I road with C&B while the family followed. We had a great visit! Once we got to the GPS-selected route, however, there was a difference of opinion about the route we would take. B decided to listen to the GPS rather than to C....(yikes!)



Let me post another warning for those of you who rely (as I often do) on computers that are programed to "shortest distance." Do some homework because shortest distance does not always equate to fastest time nor to most passenger-friendly roads. Our first stop for the day was King's Canyon National Park. Normally I am the driver on our road trips, however, I wanted to visit with B & C as much as possible and, as I noted before, we had a great visit. Unfortunately, that meant that I was a passenger...holy-pass-the-barf-bag batman! B's GPS took us up one of the windiest roads I have ever travelled. The switch backs were so tight that we found ourselves honking at our own taillights! We finally made it and WOW, I am never disappointed in the treats Mother Nature has for us. The temp was perfect and the trees, absolutely breath-taking. 

Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous pace we had set for ourselves, we were off too soon for our next destination: Yosemite National Park. 

Yosemite is one of my most favorite places on earth. I am renewed in mind and refreshed in spirit every time I visit. Whether it is the majesty of the breath-taking vistas, the power of the waterfalls, or the serenity of the mountains and meadows, I honestly can't say. All I know to be true is that Yosemite is my most sacred place. C and I were the only two of our little group that had been to Yosemite previously and C hadn't been in over 35 years. It was awesome to share this special place with some of the people I love.
 
We parted ways in Yosemite. B & C actually spent the night in the park while the four road-trippers from Texas headed toward San Francisco.



TTFN...
Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment