Sunday, August 26, 2012

A family of "cool chicks!"

I've just returned from Dallas, where I spent the weekend celebrating life and love and new adventures with four amazing women. Specifically, my mom, and my sister K, travelled together to Dallas to visit with my sister J and her family.



P-1 generation

I guess I should start at the beginning...I have four sisters. Yep, there are five of us girls and no boys in our family, (my dad was VERY spoiled by all of the women in his life). I am the first-born, or as my mother always says: "the oldest." Each of my sisters brings different gifts and talents to the mix, but at the same time, they are all the same in many ways. I love each of them. We are all moms ourselves. I have two boys, K has one son, J has a girl and a boy, Ca has one girl and Ch has a boy and a girl. You see in the P2 generation, boys out-numbered girls by 5:3. Since this visit and blog entry is about some wonderful women, I'm only going to address my nieces: S, A and H.

"A" just finished high school and will be starting college classes tomorrow. She has an incredible sense of humor and is a beautiful young woman. She works very hard and is responsible with her earnings, something I wish I had learned at her age. "A" has very impressive career and life goals and I know she can achieve them and anything else to which she sets her mind.

I introduced you to "H" during my posts about our crazy trek to see King Tut. "H" is still in elementary school but she is very smart and is a joy to be around.

"S" is the eldest of my nieces. She is beginning her senior year in college and will be studying abroad in the UK this semester. In fact, the main reason we went to Dallas was to spend some quality time with her before she begins her newest adventure and to see her off. "S" is the "free-spirit" of the three nieces. Her strength is in her self-confidence and her willingness to try new adventures. She also has some very impressive career and life goals and she is going after them with such a gusto for life, I have no doubt in her ability to achieve them all.
Mom, S and J

The five of us women, ranging in age from early 20s to mid-70s, certainly proved that when there is love and common ground, there are no age-gaps. We shopped for western boots, (a real Texan must not leave the country for any amount of time without at least one pair); we laughed, told stories, shared experiences, laughed some more, gave each other opinions and advice, shared cocktails and wine and ice-cream and laughed some more, and most importantly, further strengthened the bonds that make family special. In short, we had a BLAST! 

I am so blessed to have the amazing family that I do. I never take any of them for granted and wish that we could spend more quality time together. Maybe that's why I am so thankful for the times we do get to be together.    

No comments:

Post a Comment