Saturday, October 6, 2012

Birthdays and a request.

I LOVE my birthday. This is one of the (gazillion) things on which Haime and I find ourselves at polar opposite sides. I LOVE the idea of celebrating another year of life. Haime, on the other hand, says he would like nothing more than to be able to forget that a particular day marks another turn of the yearly calendar. He does like presents, however, and suggests that if we gave him more presents throughout the year, we could actually dispense with the birthday celebration and just have several "general present-for-Haime" days (whatever).

So, I celebrated another birthday yesterday. As children, my parents always made each of us feel very special on our birthday and that feeling continues for me today. Generally, I LOVE life. I am a happy person and am consciously trying to find the good and beautiful virtues, gifts and grace God has blessed me with every day. (With that said, those of you who know me best know that I have a warped and wicked sense of humor; so for me, some of those things I count as blessings, might seem kind of strange to others. But, since they are mine, I like it.) This year, one of my blessings came from my son Chipper who phoned earlier in the week to ask if I would like to play golf with him on the afternoon of my birthday...I was thrilled. I used to play golf 2-3 times per week. Of course, that was more than a couple of decades ago, and now, I seldom take the time to play. In fact, the last time I played golf was with Chipper on my birthday 6 YEARS AGO!
 
I have to admit, I actually did better than I was afraid I would. Most of the time my shots remained in the fairway and I only lost 2 of them to the watergod. Perhaps I had forgotten most of my bad habits. The most important thing was that we had a wonderful time. I was really hoping that Haime and Boo could have joined us, but we had an AWESOME day. Thanks Chipper!

After golf, Haime, my mom, Chipper, Mal (Chipper's bride) and their son Car and I all went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. Haime and I went early and enjoyed a glass of some mighty tasty wine while we waited. I've been fighting the weight-war pretty hard for the past year but decided that I was going to indulge myself just this once to celebrate. After a lovely dinner, we all even shared a piece of cake...hey, I was celebrating. We had arranged for Car to spend the night at our house so he came home with us and we played for awhile then all turned in for the night...AWESOME birthday.

Then, I woke this morning to find that my indulgences resulted in a 2 pound gain...CRAP! Well, I still LOVE birthdays so I guess I'll just have to learn to LOVE the extra treadmill/elliptical/crunches that I'm going to have to put in to pay for falling off of the flab-fighting-wagon.

Before I close, I have a request...Boo's girlfriend's mom is pretty ill. Please keep her in your thoughts and offer prayers for her recovery...Thanks.

TTFN

Lois 


No comments:

Post a Comment