Monday, May 5, 2014

Tripping on Gravestones...

You know the adage: "The best laid plans of mice and men..."? (Adapted from a 1785 Robert Burns' poem, the actual line reads "The best laid schemes of mice and men..."---yep, the geek is back). Well, my plan was to write this post about a month ago, so excuse the time lapse but it must be done!

Haime and I are all about celebrations and parties. Mother Nature is telling us that spring is here. Flowers are blooming, (just ask Haime's allergies if you need confirmation), birds are nesting, temperatures are perfect and all is right with the universe. At the time this picture was taken, Easter was about three weeks away. If you've been following this blog, you might recognize the place. Several months ago, they were having a sale and I wrote about my confusion as to what the heck one sells in a cemetery. ANYWAY, the latest strangeness involved an Easter Egg Hunt on the cemetery grounds. 

OK, I'll admit, maybe the "strangeness factor" is just with me. But I've got to tell you, it nears the top of the BIZARRE scale in my book. Maybe it's the way I was raised. When I was a child, I often went to the cemetery with my grandmother to lay flowers on her parent's graves. As we walked from the parking lot to the grave-sites, she would always remind me to be careful not to walk on any of the graves so as not to disturb the dead. Yep! I've been freaked out about being in grave-yards for decades! 

When I was doing my undergrad work, I took a class, (yes, smart-asses, I actually went to some of my classes...don't forget, I can actually read your minds while you are reading this!), with an assignment to do "gravestone etchings" of some early stones. We were to spend time in the cemetery checking out various things like looking at ages of the dead, earliest death dates, any years that seemed to have extraordinarily large numbers of deaths compared to other years, etc. Anyway, I was so freaked out about spending time in the graveyard, (graveyard seems to have a scarier gut feel for me than cemetery), that I really tried getting out of the assignment...several times...I finally decided that if I had a couple of beers before the graveyard trek, I might be able to get through it...it worked. 

Getting back to the Graveyard Easter Egg Hunt...as soon as I saw the sign, my (extremely visual) mind pictured children dressed in their Easter dresses and little suits, running to and fro across graves, and knocking each other into and over gravestones. All-the-while, their zombie-like parents just sat in lawn chairs and grinned at their little monsters as they ran around hunting and collecting plastic eggs. Seriously, my mind's eye saw some serious "disturbing the dead" happening! 

In all likelihood, it probably was a very tranquil affair, however, let's just say, if there is a Zombie Apocalypse anytime soon in our neck of the woods, Haime and I are sure it will have been the result of the Easter Egg Hunt at the cemetery!      

TTFN,

Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment